Why “Girl Duck”?
Because that is one of my husband’s nicknames for me. At first I was a bit put off. “Um… the girl ducks are a bit homely compared to the guy ducks, don’t you think?” Of course, he wasn’t implying that. Otherwise, I would have kicked him in the shin. Anyway, the nickname grew on me. Plus, it was kind of cute: the image of a little ducky family with little ducky children waddling behind me. Ah, my optimism knows no bounds. Neither does my tendency to use ellipses way too often and in the wrong ways… FYI.
Why “Proverbial”? We’ll get to that later.
Why a blog? What in the world would posses me to cast my bloggy drop in the mommy-blogo-bucket? Why would I think my little life and my little thoughts warrant anything more than a journal beside my bed or perhaps a scrapbook (digital please)? What is the POINT of this blog anyway?
Frankly, I’m not sure. But here are my thoughts, because I know you’re on the edge of your seat and were just wondering what my thoughts on this are:
- I love reading blogs, particularly those written by Christian moms. With the little time I have between all the many and various things I get to do as a mom, wife, and homemaker, one of the things I love to do is read about others who are moms, wifes, and homemakers.
- I love gathering information. My husband teases me for constantly reading, researching, gathering, interviewing, and then reading some more. It’s a passion. It’s who I AM, MAN! OK? I AM Johnny Five and I NEED MORE INPUT! That’s right… fist pump to the 80’s fans!
- I love the challenge and the blessing of being the woman God is calling me to be. It’s really difficult, but it is more wonderful than I ever would have imagined. I never remember dreaming about this kind of stuff when I was a little girl, but now that I’m a big girl, I dream of a deep and lovely marriage, kids who love God with their all, and a home that is a welcoming sanctuary from the world! This is where the “Proverbial” fits in. Of course, on my own I’m miserably bad at all of these things.
- I love the Christian community and I love the fellowship of men and women who are building each other up and supporting each other in truth and in love as we seek hard after Jesus and do the job He has called us to do with everything that we have!
- I completely and wholly love Jesus Christ, and my greatest desire is to one day hear Him whisper to me: “Well done, good and faithful servant!” There are few things more beautiful than a woman who has lived a long life dedicated to her Savior, being shaped by Him into her own Proverbs 31 story. You know the ones I mean: they fairly shine with wisdom! They smile and speak in a way that quietly reveals an intensely intimate walk with the Lord that is so very genuine. They bless everyone they come across! Right now you’re probably picturing a few of them that you know in your own life, yah? Well, that is the kind of woman I want to be! I have SOOO far to go, but God’s working on me.
What does all of this have to do with my decision to start blogging? There’s nothing particularly extraordinary about me. I enjoy writing, but I’m very much a typical person, stumbling along and doing lots of stupid stuff. I’m a simple and ordinary girl duck and there are MANY MANY women out there who much like me, having the same core desires and goals for life that I have and who face the same challenges that I do.
Basically, the reason I’m blogging is because I want to (get to) contribute to the voices of those women, from all ages and stages, that I benefit from daily! We support each other, teaching and being taught, cheering on and building up, battling alongside, and ultimately reaching together for the good and perfect prize! On a good day, anyway. 😀 I LOVE these women (ok, the guys are great too and I welcome them), and if I can bless even one of the four that will ever read this blog, I’m good!
Plus, it just kind of sounded like fun.
So what will the blog be about? Oh… life. Is bigger. Bigger than you and you are not me. Fist pump to the R.E.M. fans! Anyone? Anyone? Is it too ridiculous that I just quoted the song “losing my religion” after everything I said here? And all God’s people said “it’s not a religion, it’s a relationship!” Very good. Moving on.
I’ll write about things I ponder about God and His Word, about my adventures with all the aforementioned goals and dreams, about practical advice or information I’ve acquired that others might find useful, anything that strikes me as funny or interesting, and so on. Categories may include homemaking, educating kids, marriage, general parenting, gardening, cooking, thoughts on God, random stuff, etc. Sound good? Good. Let’s do this.
Now let’s see if I stick with it for more than a month. 🙂